Monday, February 28, 2011

Worrying

God certainly was speaking right to me and DH during Mass on Sunday. Dh and I were getting ready for mass on Sunday evening and I decided to check my emails. One of DH’s cousin’s just welcomed their second daughter and we received an email stating that she was born on 2/27 at 1am. The names they choose for their children are extremely uncommon. I think it’s unique and weird at first and then I end up liking the name after all. I told DH the name and he just thought it was silly. I made the comment to him, that at least they have a child to name, in a nice way of course. When it comes to weird names, my stance is always…They are the parents and it’s their right to choose what their child’s name will be. I know that this decision is probably not easy and I’m sure the name they chose was the name they thought fit their child the most. Not everyone will like a certain name, but it’s not up to everyone to name YOUR child. So, it shouldn’t matter what others think. Also, who’s to say that people will think our kid’s names are great??!?

Anyway, this sparked a conversation with DH about our IF issues and how far we’ll go to seek treatment. I’m not going to go into any details here because this is our personal view. I don’t want people to think that just because we won’t look into doing XY&Z, doesn’t mean I think XY&Z are wrong for others to pursue. So, we talked about our fears and our hopes. How it’s different for DH and I to process everything. How I think about it more than he does. How sometimes when we look at the crazy world we live in, not being blessed with children, doesn’t bother us. BUT, being blessed with children to make it a better place, would be ideal. I told DH that I was scared that we'd wake up one day when we are 35 and realize that we should have done XY&Z and just let the time pass us by. I told him that the 5 years we've been married seems to have flown by, yet we are still in the same place. DH reassured me that everything will be OK and we're not that unconscious of our situation. We just need to trust in God's will for us and things will work out.

Anyway on to Mass. Every Sunday before Mass we read the short reflection paragraph in the missalette. How appropriate for it to ask me to stop worrying about the things I can’t control and turn them over to God. In the homily our Priest spoke to us about when he was a Chaplin at a hospital during his years in the seminary. He shared with us about the time when he was paged to comfort a woman who had just lost her baby, she was 7 or 8 months pregnant. He told us how badly he wanted to take away her pain and make her feel better. There was nothing that he could have been taught to say or do that would comfort her in the way she needed. He talked about how we should trust in God and know that He is there to take our burdens away. He spoke of the love he could see that the mother had for her child in the womb. He told us to think about that love and imagine an even greater love than that, and that was how much God loves us. He said to see that woman’s pain and suffering, made him think about the pain God feels when we don’t put all our trust in him.

The two lines that struck me the most were:

Mt 6:27 "And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his lifespan?"

Mt6:33-34 "But seek first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day."

Jesus I Trust In You!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Sundays gospel also! Oh that dern worrying...gets the best of me too mant times! I'm working on not worrying so much and trying to simply trust. Sometimes easier said than done...but I'm trying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious what your limits are. Probably shouldn't be but am. Mostly because while I want to do more diagnostics (and will), I don't know what we'll do beyond that. I also wonder if that's because (after minimal testing) there is nothing overtly 'wrong' with us. I wonder if I had a miscarriage if I would feel at least it is possible that we can get pregnant without intervention. I have many thoughts on this clearly...
    but yes, the worrying readings shouted to me too. i'm doing a decent job of living one day at a time (because I have no choice - either that or insanity) so it definitely helped solidify that in me.

    ReplyDelete