Thursday, August 4, 2011

Need to Vent a Bit

The situation with my mom is going to drive me insane! I only spoke to her for 30 mins yesterday and I've been in the worst mood since. I've decided to write down some things that are really bugging me:
  1. She asked if she could come visit Dh and I this weekend (We live an hour away from her). I asked her if she wouldn't mind helping me with some projects that we have on our "to do" list. She asked if the tasks were inside jobs, which they are and then said she may just come for lunch and then leave. There have been countless times DH and I have worked on her house without complaining, and she can't for one weekend come help me for a few hours??
  2. She asked me what our plans were for Thanksgiving and I told her we would not be traveling since my due date is Nov. 28th. It's our turn with DH's family this year and my side for Christmas. I told her there weren't any firm plans yet except that we'd be staying home. She then tells me that I could travel, I'm just choosing not to. I tell her no, because my due date is so close to Thanksgiving that I don't want to go into labor 2hours away from home. Then she says...well when I was pregnant with you I was in another state during Christmas. (My b-day is Jan 6) So I told her that was her choice and that I was not going to travel 1 month away from my due date. Why can't she just let it be and not bug me about it. Why does she have to act like I am making a bad decision in staying home?!?!?
  3. She told me on the phone that she traded in her car and go an older car so she could get some money back on it. She got like $4k and then proceeded to tell me how she was not stressed anymore about money. She couldn't make the trade before she called me a few weeks ago crying about her money issues? This is exactly why we didn't give her any money, because if it comes down to it, she finds a way to get a little cash here and there.
  4. When we were getting off the phone, she tells me that she's taking my nieces to the movies and then going shoe shopping with them. They need shoes for school and she needs a couple of pairs since she had not bought shoes in 2 years. She's already spending the money she just got on things she doesn't need. Yet, another reason why we can't just give her money.
  5.  I hate that I feel guilty about telling her not to come. I hate that I can't tell her how angry I am about the choices she is making. I hate how in her mind she thinks the conversation is going well, when in fact I'm biting my tongue through out the whole conversation.
There are times I have great conversations with my mom, but it feels like most of the time these are the types of conversations we have. Me being frustrated after we get off the phone. I love my mom, but sometimes it is hard to be her friend. I wish I had one of those cool mother/daughter relationships where we could share our thoughts freely without me feeling like she is judging me. It's weird, growing up our relationship was truly mother/daughter. We could hang out and go to the movies/shopping and carry on a conversation, but once I went away for college, got married and started my own life in a different town, it's like we grew apart. I know I'm going to have to work really hard to make this relationship work, especially with a baby on the way. I need to start praying really hard for our relationship.

1 comment: