Monday, November 22, 2010

Sweet Comments!

Being new to this blogging community, I'm already receiving sweet comments. Thank you!! They bring a smile to my face :)

There are so many things that I want to share with everyone, but I don't know where to start. I find it amusing that I delayed starting this blog a few days ago because I was waiting on AF to start (and I wanted to make sure DH would be ok with me blogging about this). I kept thinking...once I start this blog I'm going to get pregnant and then this blog won't even matter...well, I was proven wrong! I started spotting on Friday but every month when that happens I tell myself not to give up hope since I read that people that are pregnant sometimes spot during 'that time of the month'. Then, eventually it's in full swing and the emotions start coming on strong. This month it came on in full force Sunday morning. I was dreading going to church and seeing all the cute cuddly babies. I end up crying; trying to be discreet about it, but trying to keep it together before and after communion. This time it was different. There was even a baby in front of us and a baby behind us. Instead of praying before and after communion, I sang the entire time. Sometimes the songs get me choked up but this time, I just really enjoyed singing.

DH and I avoided the 9am Mass for a year because it was so hard for us to see the families we knew with all their little ones and their new little ones. There was one couple that just kept asking in a not so polite way when we were going to have little ones. This past Easter, the husband asked us, “So, no Easter egg hunts for you guys this year huh?” The one time we decided not to avoid 9am Mass, this is what I had to deal with? DH politely said, “No, not yet”, I on the other hand wanted to scream at him and tell him it was none of his business and that if it were up to us, we WOULD have been pregnant right now and that our baby WOULD have been born this month, so maybe you should not ask these questions. I just have to remember people don’t know and if there was nothing wrong with us, these questions would not bother me. I think one of our mutual friends that I confided in about our infertility told them about our problems (I told her she could) since they did not ask us about babies the last time we saw them a few Sundays ago.

What do you say when people ask you when you are going to have kids? Do you have any suggestions for telling people politely without them coming back to ask you more questions? I never thought asking someone about their family plan was a bad idea until we found ourselves with fertility issues. Now I just think it is rude to ask unless someone comes right out and tells you themselves. Even with family it is hard. My side of the family knows about our miscarriage so they don’t ask unless I bring up the subject. DH’s side does not know. We told my side about our pregnancy before we went to the first doctor’s appointment. We’ve chosen not to tell DH’s side until we are pregnant again...if it happens. I wish DH’s side knew how much we would like children now, but I’m glad they don’t know about our infertility issues. It is encouraging when they say “You’ll be a great mom one day” when I’m playing with their kids. But the sarcastic remarks, like “Don’t you wish you had one of those?” or “Just wait until you have kids…” Those comments make me not want to come and visit them! One of my SIL’s told me “You will have to tell us when you want to have kids, everyone is asking us.” DH was not there so I had to come up with something…I just said something like “I think only God knows when we’ll have them” She didn’t ask any more questions after I said that because I changed the subject.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome! I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here...Thank God! I have always been amazed at the rudeness of people regarding kids. Whenever someone says anything to me, I simply reply, "We would love kids. Please pray for us." They get the idea with that response, but I love your response to your SIL - I'll have to throw that into my bag of "how to respond to incredibly rude people that want to put their nose in my business" bag. But you are right, they don't know how hurtful their nosey-ness is. I think I just figured out my next blog subject...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean--sometimes people's words can be so hurtful, even when they don't mean to be. It's hard to know exactly what to say, but I like My Heart Exults' suggestion. I often say, "whenever it happens." I feel like the longer I say that, though, the more people are starting to realize what's going on. It's definitely tough to deal with emotionally.

    I don't know what it is about IF, but people have learned to be sensitive about so many other things, but not IF. It is often such a silent cross.

    The nice thing about the blogosphere is you don't run into that kind of thing here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the awesome blog world! You will love it here! :) :) :) And now you have lots of prayers being said for you, too! Yay!!!

    I hope things get better w/people not understanding...just know that you can always vent about it to us here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for being a fellow blog newbie! :) Welcome!

    I totally understand dreading Mass because of the babies. My husband and I go to the Traditional Latin Mass, and there always seems to be even MORE children there than the usual Catholic parish. The family that sits in front of us has ELEVEN kids-one of whom is a newborn.

    When people ask me if I'm going to have kids, I usually say, "Oh, we're trying!" and try to put a smile on my face. I still don't know what to do about the family...my mom asks me every other week if I'm pregnant. It's incredibly frustrating!

    I'll be praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just found your blog! Welcome to the blogging world! I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. :(
    I am one of the default members of the Catholic IF community since I have never struggled with infertility, but I love reading the blogs and offering support and prayers. I learn so much from these ladies, and they push me towards holiness.
    As one of the other girls mentioned, I have learned that IF is too often a silent cross, and I pray that more women will take the time to put themselves in the shoes of infertile women.
    I will add you to my prayer list, my sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete